Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Swimming Lessons

Austin just finished swimming lessons, and he LOVED every minute of them! The lessons are a pretty neat structure, they are survival swimming lessons. The lessons are 10 minute, private, lesson every day for three weeks. The first set of lessons mainly teach the kids how to turn to their backs and float from when they are under water so that if they were to fall in the water they would be able to find the surface and float until someone found them. Austin was a great floater! His teacher, Kaylynn, told us that he had done a great job, that he had tons confidence, which was good, it was probably a little above his actual skill level- so we needed a little more work on that. I was thrilled just to have the two evened out just a little as when we started he was all confidence and no skill! He now thinks that he can swim without a life jacket (he can't), so I'm sure we're going to be fighting that battle all summer!

getting ready for lessons!

His sweet teacher, Kaylynn. She was always surprised with how wiggly he was. He didn't stop wiggling from the time he got into the water until he got out. Sometimes it was probably a little distracting during the lessons, but she handled him well!

Floating on his back

Here is my fearless boy jumping off the diving board! When we walked into the pool house for the first lesson that was the first thing he saw and asked the teacher right away if he could jump off. She was a little surprised, and told him not today, but maybe in a few days.

4 comments:

mreay said...

Hi Terra! I feel like I haven't seen you in years, oh wait...I haven't! Thanks to Ellery's blog she's got me dialed in to all my old pals! I just wanted to say hi, your kids are darling and I'm sure you make an awesome mommy! We had our first swimming lessons last summer...so good and fun for the kids! I have two boys too! Hope to see you sometime soon :-)

Katie said...

Yea Austin!!! I am so glad you did the lessons, and that he loved it so much. I have got to send you the pictures of Ellie teaching him to swim, it was hillarious.

Heather said...

My kids took lessons like that and were terrified. I don't know which is better--fearing the water or being to comfortable. What a darling boy!

Ellery said...

i have wanted to do this with my girls. worried they will be a little freaked. i hear its best to drop them off and leave. who is your teacher and what does she charge...where is she? i want details!